Re: Keyboard keys, commands, shortcuts, "accelerators"

Am Dienstag, 20. Mai 2003 19:46 schrieb Miernik:
> Interesting subject.
> I'd appreciate to see a project of standaraling keyboard shortcuts
> among all applications which perform common operations (file save,
> open, cut&paste).

I think the way of standardizing (if you think about users) would be to not
only define a standard (or some "flavor" standards), but also a system wide
shortcut system with standardized names for standard actions, so if you set
something, it could theoretically work everywhere (at least with the help of
debconf scripts or similar).
But as a whole bunch of programmers tend to be fanatics about what key
bindings they implement or about using standards, this is a discussion relly
worth to be started on debian-curiosa, especially as you might imagine the
amount of work.

But I think it would be worth the effort.

Greetings,
--
Thomas Ritter

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin