Re: Tech ctte tweaks

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:49:21AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:50:10AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Okay, Steve's meant to start today (in 20 minutes if we go by UTC),
> so Ian are you happy to step down, and does everyone want to send in their
> vote for new chair?

Voting, on the assumption that Ian is ready to step down:

> Mine's: 1. Steve, 2. Bdale, 3. Andy, 4. Raul, 5. Me, 6. Ian, 7. Further discussion

1. me, 2. Anthony, 3. Raul, 4. Andi, 5. Bdale, 6. Ian, 7. Further Discussion

... just to mix things up a bit and give myself a clearer lead, what the
heck. :)

> Can we also get a vote from folks on the other proposals:

> > (1) Rotating the tech ctte chair

> > Changing chairs every two months would mean everyone would be chair over
> > the course of the year; helping ensure that we notice people who aren't
> > active in a timely manner, and distributing the load a bit more fairly.
> > I propose we do this, and for concreteness propose the following rotation:

> >             - Feb 14th  Ian Jackson
> >    Feb 15th - Mar 31st  Steve Langasek
> >    Apr  1st - May 31st  Bdale Garbee
> >    Jun  1st - Jul 31st  Andreas Barth
> >    Aug  1st - Sep 30th  Raul Miller
> >    Oct  1st - Nov 30th  Anthony Towns
> >    Dec  1st - Jan 31st  Ian Jackson

> I vote yes...

I'm pretty sure such a vote isn't binding in any meaningful way given what
the constitution says, but: "yes".

> > (2) Requiring an implementation of proposals

> > So I propose we establish a rule that we won't make decisions on issues
> > that aren't ready for an immediate NMU when we make that decision.

> Also yes...

Yes.

> > (3) Advisory opinions from the chair

> > So I propose we establish that our procedure in addressing issues is
> > for the chair to quickly issue an initial opinion; and to only vote on
> > issues when an official ruling is needed (eg, to overrule a maintainer)
> > or when members of the tech ctte disagree.

> Also yes...

Abstaining.  I'm willing to give this model a try, but I'm still not
convinced that such advisory opinions can be sufficiently decisive to serve
the needs of petitioners.