Re: request for Technical Committee ruling on Bug #109436

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Because we control the deb and the diff, but we do not control
>  the pristine upstream sources, which may have well known
>  cryptographic signatures on them outside the scope of Debian to
>  affect.

This is a bogus argument. If anything it strengthens the viewpoint that
the file should not be changed. Say there was a signature against a
pristine tar that was in the archive, the contents of that file can never
change because it is signed.

We already have no mechanism to ensure the filename matches any other
(indeed, we often require renaming) and even if we did Branden's proposed
change would invalidate those signatures. X and many other packages
already do not use pristine source anyhow.

Jason