Re: request for Technical Committee ruling on Bug #109436

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 09:57:45AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I'm told by folks familiar with katie that using an epoch won't work,
> because epochs do not appear on .orig.tar.gz filenames.  The upstream
> tarball would thus remain un-renamed from the perspective of the katie
> database.

Ugh.. good point.

> > Any better ideas?
>
> Why is the right thing to do not to consider asking the archive
> maintainers to grant my request?

Because this makes it rather difficult to distinguish between the right
tarball and the wrong one.

Sure, you can tell a human "look for the file with this number of bytes",
but a lot of this stuff is automated.

Thanks,

--
Raul