Re: request for Technical Committee ruling on Bug #109436

[I'm not calling for a vote yet, we're still in discussion on this, and
I'm still not sure that this situation requires our participation at all.]

It looks to me like the right thing to do here is:

[1] Do something so the new tar.gz file has a file name distinct from
the old one.  [Guy Maor suggested incrementing the epoch.]

[2] File a bug report against ftp.debian.org to get the old
tar.gz file pulled.

[3] File a bug report against policy so steps [1] and [2] are clearly
documented.

Currently policy on Epoch says:

          It is provided to allow mistakes in the version numbers of
          older versions of a package, and also a package's previous
          version numbering schemes, to be left behind.

This is a bit too narrow as it doesn't talk about the need for
distinct instances of the same version of the upstream tarball.

Any better ideas?

Thanks,

--
Raul