Re: 大家 新年快乐 ! <关于CJK的新包>

On 14:31 Wed 04 Jan 2006, Danai SAE-HAN wrote:
> Here are a few highlights:
>  - CJK version 4.6.0, with CVS changes up to 2005年10月31日
>    lots of things have changed, e.g. now you can use bkai or gbsn in a
>    UTF-8 encoded file, and you don't need to wait for those PK fonts
>    to get compiled: CJK now uses primarily .pfb fonts

These fonts names drove me mad. What is .pfb fonts anyway? Where to get them
and how to install them? The only font type I know of is .ttf (is it called
truetype?) and I am wondering where I can get more information about these
weird font names.

>  - recreate the Arphic TFM fonts, and provide Type1 fonts (that's the
>    way CJK now uses: it has dropped ttf2tfm in favour of fontforge)
>    along with the necessary .map files

Again. What is Type1 fonts and what is its functions?

>  - compatible with teTeX3 and TeXlive Debian packages, with necessary
>    changes to the filepaths because of TDS1.1

I have a penchant for Texlive iso images since I assume that Texlive cd
images are more complete and supposed to work better than Debian packages.
(I know I am very much on the wrong side). The problem I have is: Debian
packages put all the configuration files in /etc but for Texlive cd the
directory structure seems quite different. So when I installed some new
gbkfont converted Chinese fonts, I don't know how to make them compliant
with with Debian's Latex suite.

> If you use some of the HBF fonts, don't upgrade (yet).  I still need
> to repackage them, i.e. applying the new TDS1.1 filepaths and
> providing the font definition (.fd) files.  But who uses these fonts
> anyway, apart from CNS users? o.O?

What does this HBF fonts mean and again what is its functions?

Last question:

I know there are some free Chinese fonts available but are they immediately
workable when I install CJK/latex package (I mean all those fonts are
available in .pfb/type1/HBF format so that I can use them right away?) ?
Are those free fonts up to the serious task like writing a file with lots characters
that needs GBK encoding?  Or do I need the gbkfont tool to covert some MS
windows fonts?

I am really a beginner of Tex/Latex and your kind help is appreciated.

--
regards
phyrster