Re: Request for "beta testers" for latex-cjk

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 01:41, Danai SAE-HAN wrote:
> 2. CJK provides example configuration files for a UTF-8 environment.
>    These use Bitstream's Cyberbit font, a font that used to be freely
>    downloadable on Netscape's FTP address (and still is, BTW), but
>    with a fuzzy License, and seems to be officially retracted by
>    Bitstream.  Just because CJK has some example files written for
>    such a non-DFSG free surely doesn't automatically force the
>    latex-cjk package into contrib/, does it?  I haven't found any
>    discussion about Cyberbit on Debian-Legal, but perhaps I will ask
>    them this question.
>      More importantly however, are there are any other, DFSG
> compliant fonts with such a wide coverage like Cyberbit, at the very
> least with Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters?

Are you looking for ttf fonts? There are multiple fonts in Debian
already:
 * ttf-arphic-uming, ttf-arphic-ukai: Chinese (Big5, GB2312, HKSCS2004),
(Most recent testing version is on apt.debian.org.tw, more CJK
characters to come (GBK, Japanese, Korean))
 * ttf-sazanami-*: Japanese
 * ttf-unfonts: Korean

Afaik, there is no DFSG free font which covers all of those characters,
yet, but I'm working on it. :)

The Cyberbit font has wrong codepoints assigned to the Hangul syllables
(CJK Ext.A instead of their original position and not even complete,
AFAIK) and therefor is buggy.

--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)