Re: firefly fonts & CJKUnifonts

(I am dropping the long cc: list as I don't think many people are
interested in license issues, but please forward this concern to proper
personnel if they are not subscribed, thanks)

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 06:12:03PM +0800, Kanru Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firefly is going to merge his embedded bitmap fonts into Arne's
> CJKUnifonts in the future which contains more characters and update
> more frequency. So let's close this ITP and create another for
> CJKUnifonts

This is great news, and as a simplified Chinese user I am excited about
this as well.  My question however is about the license of this font.
If I recall correctly, Arphic fonts require derived fonts to be in
Arphic license as well, which means Arne's font is going to be under
Arphic license.

But Firefly's pixmap fonts are under GPL.  And Arphic license is NOT GPL
compatible.  Since we can't do anything about Arphic fonts, the only
reasonable solution would to be firefly dual-licensing his pixmap fonts
under APL/GPL, or put it under a more unrestrictive BSD-like license.

I think Funda Wang raised this issue in Firefly's forum, but didn't get
a definitive answer.  If I am missing something, pointers will be
appreciated.

It may be not a big issue (I don't think Arphic is going to sue anybody
on these fonts), but the DFSG is important in Debian, so please consider
this when packaging.

Thanks,
Ming
2005.02.18