Re: Foreigners want no tone pinyin input method

On 19 Mar 2001, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> zhaoway> Um, do you mean bimsphone PinYin cannot be easily tuned to 無調拼音,
> zhaoway> or is it just a CIN table modification awaited? Thanks for the
> zhaoway> information!
>
> As a foreigner, I hope one day linux has a Pinyin input method like
> Microsoft's that "womenkeyishuruhenchangdezichuan" [we can enter
> lengthy Chinese character strings] without [optional] tone numbers,
> because: 1. Us foreigners can't hear or remember tones too good anyway
> sometimes.  2. it's fast!  [Also Microsoft's can remember what we
> often type, like my name.]

By the way, Chinput 3.1 already does "Zhineng Pinyin" or "Intelligent
Pinyin" which uses no tone at all.  Okay, you can't quite type an entire
sentence with it, but you can certainly use it to enter phrases.

	apt-get install chinput

Hopefully, Zhaoway's DIM (http://dim.sourceforge.net/) would be even
better.  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada