Re: Suggestion: Change the link names on http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

* Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2009-11-27 00:27:07 CET]:
> On Thursday 26 November 2009, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > Why should users have to learn what Debian's internal name for their
> > architecture is?
>
> Because that is what they see/need when they look at the sources.list or
> package names?

 I have no powerpc in my sources.list, and package names don't carry
powerpc for me neither.

 On the other hand, enabling users to learn isn't a bad thing in itself.
If it is additional, we shouldn't depend too much on educating our users
- offering it is enough.

 One suggestion that is pretty easy to implement and also should be
helpful straight ahead: Why not make amd64 and i386 appear in *bold*
letters? That way they stand out and people are more likely to
recoginize and choose them. Ordering and discussions on renaming one way
or another might confuse, having it clearly standing out is a concept
that everyone should easy be able to understand.

 You can afterwards continue to discuss wether allcaps or lowercase or
the arch part from the package filename is the best option. ;)

 So long! :)
Rhonda