Re: too many CD ISOs

Richard Atterer (richard@2007.atterer.net) wrote on 18 April 2007 11:30:
 >On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:02:07AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
 >> Reason: it's much more effective for them when users download an ISO than
 >> when they use jigdo. For example the ftp.fr.debian.org admin explained me
 >> that they were limited by the disk seek and not by the bandwith used by
 >> the users.
 >
 >That's interesting - I hadn't heard of this kind of problem before! :-/
 >Jigdo is really designed for the "no bandwidth" and/or "no disc space"
 >case. But this is not a common opinion among mirror operators, or is it??

It depends on the load and set of images. If you have many
simultaneous downloads each one will be in a different point of each
file, and disk seeks will happen all the time, even if you have isos
and not packages.

For example, we're the main distributor of a Brazilian linux distro
(kurumin, based on knoppix). Right now there are 650+ downloads. If
the image didn't fit on ram the machine would collapse. This indeed
happened in the beginning :-(

I'm getting off-topic for debian-cd, this should be in the mirrors list...