Re: powerpc 2.2r4

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:06:24PM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> >
> > I used the CVS version (as at about Nov 6 2001)
> >
> > So, are the official 2.2 r4 CDs unbootable?
>
> on powerpc yes.
>
> > If so, any ideas what I did wrong?
>
> its not your fault its mine, for one i was under the apparently
> mistaken impression that older versions of debian-cd were uses for
> potato anyway (someone i think debian-cd's maintainer told me this).

That was true up until r3, but I've upgraded open.hands.com
(cdimage.d.o) to testing recently, in order to be able to build woody
CDs on a woody system, so was using the new mkisofs, and saw that the
latest debian-cd supported that, and had the stuff for reducing the
amount of rubbish on CD1, so thought I'd take advantage of the new
stuff.  I should probably have asked how sane that was first.

> and secondly i forgot about the broken excuse for yaboot we have in
> potato.
>
> current cvs (or 2.2.9) debian-cd will use a kludged yaboot.conf for
> potato CDs and a correct one for woody.
>
> if its possible to generate a r4.1 or something for powerpc images
> that would be nice, otherwise we will just have to wait for r5.
> (nobody built fixed boot-floppies for powerpc either so r4 really is a
> mess on powerpc).

So, rebuilding them with the latest CVS will sort out the problem
then, will it?

I'll do that, and put the new image up for rsync, so people can test
it.  If all's well, I'll do a CD point release (unless people come up
with compelling reasons not to).

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!   http://petition.eurolinux.org/