Re: Multiple boot images for CD1

If I understand you correctly, the potato version does some of this
already.  If you boot your system from the second CD at the start of the
installation,  it uses the compact version of the CD to boot from. See:

<http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html>

in particular the last paragraph on the page.

Mike K.