base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> I've been downloading these files for a test session, and I can't find the
> base tarball. Where can I find this file? It is normally in the images
> directories, but I can't find it.

There is no base tarball anymore.  The functionality has been
superceeded by debootstrap (the package).

FYI, what debootstrap does is simply download (or get from CD) the
packages in base at runtime.  Essentially, it replaces the
bootdisks.sh script in boot-floppies -- we used to build the base
system at boot-floppies build time.

Why is this better?  For one, it's going to be able to work with
debian-installer, for sid release, since boot-floppies is going away
in sid.  For two, its better because we don't have to create another
boot-floppies release to capture updates in base.  We're able to turn
around base fixes as easily as updating the packages in the archive.

For three, it's better because it means less for the overworked
debian-boot team to be directly responsible for. :)

Some have asked for some way to install base via floppies -- you'll
have to take it up with AJ.  CVS for the debootstrap package is
available in the same cvsroot as boot-floppies.  I'm happy to try to
accomodate this on the boot-floppies side if the support is added to
debootstrap and some split images provided.  However, AJ might not be
willing to do this at all, since it will invalidate (for floppy
install anyhow) many of the benefits above.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>