Re: is zfs incompatible with the GNU Project ?

Hi Paolo,

El 24 de març de 2012 23:02, Paolo Delbene <id3rfix@gmail.com> ha escrit:
> 23 march 2012 10:16 p.m., Richard Matthew Stallman <rms@> wrote:
>> My impression was that there was a specific effort to implement a set of
>> headers and in-kernel hooks as original work under the BSDL, that would be
>> sufficient to allow a CDDL-licensed module to be loaded at runtime and
>> still supply ZFS functionality.
>
>> It would violate the GPL to load that CDDL-licensed module dynamically
>> into a GPL-covered kernel.

Thanks for bringing this up.  Note that we don't provide a GPL-covered
kernel.  We do, however, provide a few kernel modules under GPLv2.

The question here is whether we can provide a kernel alongside some
CDDL modules and some GPLv2 modules.  I'm afraid I can't answer this
question.

If you want to pursue this, note that this is a technical-oriented
list.  I recommend you bring it up on debian-legal instead.  If it
turns out that we can't distribute this, there are ways in which this
could be resolved (upstream 10-CURRENT branch includes BSDL
replacements for the remaining GPLv2 bits).