Reworked ZFS support in D-I, testers wanted

Hi Zach

2011/7/31 Zach JL <xaque208@gmail.com>:
> I think that the user should be given a chance to enter a name for the zpool
> during installation in the same way that when installing Linux, the user has
> a chance to enter the name of a Volume Group for LVM root.

I think you'll be interested in:

partman-zfs (8) unstable; urgency=low

  * Redesign ZFS pool management (mostly based on partman-lvm).  New
features include:
    - Support for ZFS pools with multiple physical devices.
    - Support for multiple filesystems within a ZFS pool.
    - Support for legacy filesystems using ZFS volumes (ZVOL).
    - Arbitrary names for ZFS pools, filesystems and ZVOLs.

 -- Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org>  Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:51:47 +0200

which has just been uploaded to unstable.

Please test!

> The second bit I would like to add, is that it shouldn't be mandatory to use
> partitions at all when using ZFS from the installer.  ZFS is perfectly
> capable of using disks without any partitions on them at all, and from
> my understanding of using ZFS in this way, it will actually improve
> performance because you are giving the filesystem access to write cache on
> the disk.  See this link for more about that:
> http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#Storage_Pools

I know about the write cache issue, but I'm not sure how can this fit
into partman's workflow.  AFAIK partman always wants a partition
label.  This might require changes to other parts of D-I.