Re: [gsoc2009] debian-installer on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 11:57:22PM +0100, Luca Favatella wrote:
> (I don't know if I have to cc other Debian mailing lists)
>

> Hi.

Hi,

> I would like to partecipate as a student in Google Summer of Code 2009.
>
> I'm interested in working on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.
>
> I propose the project "Porting debian-installer on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD".
> I'm not able to complete this task alone.
> I need someone splitting this task in smaller subtasks to complete.
>

> Do you think this project is a good idea?

I guess it's something we really need for get more people using the
port. I planned to do that numerous times, but I failed to invest enough
continuous time.

Note that we already have Ging, a Live CD running GNU/kFreeBSD [1]. It
is clearly outdated, but it shows how to boot from a CD-ROM, and use a
ramdisk that allow copy-on with the CD filesystem.

It may be a good idea to start porting Debian Live, that would make at
least a first step to reach. This is always good for projects with time
constraints, so that you have at least something to show at the end.
Then the boot process can be implemented the same way in
debian-installer.

> Is there someone wanting to mentor me?

I won't have a lot of time, but Colin Watson offered on IRC to share a
bit the load. I guess this mailing list is also a good way to have
technical hints.

So in short the answer is yes. I'll make the necessary so that it can be
propose as a GSoC project.

Best regards,
Aurelien

[1] http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/ging

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73