Re: kfreebsd future
I would like to slightly discuss future of GNU/kFreeBSD.
- FreeBSD 6.x based
May I adapt kfreebsd-kernel-headers to use kfreebsd-source-6.1 ?
If it is still possible to use 5.4 kernels then, that looks ok to me.
In SVN there is set of updated packages.
They work for me with both 5.4 and 6.1 kernels:
The bootstrap order used by me is:
- kfreebsd-i386 & etch
Release or not to release ?
Well I think we are too far for something releasable
IMHO, it would be good to produce some snapshot for evaluation
or first try. All packages from such snapshot should be installable.
Unstable is sometimes unstable ;-)
In "etch based" snapshot there would be
kfreebsd specific packages (kfreebsd-common, kfreebsd-6, kfreebsd-kernel-headers, ...)
and subset of packages from etch, with either
same source as in etch (majority of packages) or with etch based source
(currently i.e. gnupg, ifupdown, pam, expat, ...).
moreover kfreebsd-i386 is still not in the archive.
Yes, this makes creation of such snapshot much harder :-(
- status mail to debian-devel-announce
However if you have some ideas, we can prepare a mail.
Well, "Bits from the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD porters"
might contain something like bellow.
Hello, Debian world!
This is a status update for the Debian GNU/FreeBSD port.
Compared to previous status mail , this port now consists
of two architectures: kfreebsd-i386 and kfreebsd-amd64.
Currently we focus mainly on kfreebsd-i386.
* We have uptodate toolchain and most of the core Debian packages
are in good shape.
* An unofficial buildd is up and running for both kfreebsd-i386 and
kfreebsd-amd64, buildd logs for kfreebsd-i386 are available at .
* There is a DD-accessible porting machine running kfreebsd-i386.
* For kfreebsd-i386, 80% packages have been built, 75% are up-to-date.
See , .
* We want to be in official archive, see #369797,
We need your help
* as ftpmaster, could you please take a look at #369797.
* as package maintainer, could you please look at BTS
whether there is a kfreebsd submission and integrate it.
In many cases, it is sufficient to (auto)update config.sub/config.guess
or use recent libtool. See .
* as NMUer, please could you look at kfreebsd submission in BTS (in addition
to usual translations).
Of cource, you can also verify whether your package builds 
and/or use porting machine.
We would also appreciate hosting a shell server and/or donate hardware
Currently we are thinking about releasing etch based snapshot
as we have reasonable subset of etch packages .
The Debian GNU/kFreeBSD porters