Re: Glibc-based GNU/FreeBSD

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 05:37:59PM -0500, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

> I've had to put the work I was doing on hold.  Bruno Haible doesn't seem
> to have done much further with merging into glibc.  There are
> substantial problems with /usr/include.  Major work is needed to get
> enough of the required BSD system utilities like ps or ifconfig to
> build.  Nearly all of the networking headers are screwed up.
>
> Increasingly, I wonder about going back to the native libc. and
> continuing to develop things like utmpx or libshadow. Keeping glibc
> working and in sync with the kernel looks like a full-time job, and I
> cannot do it.

Please tar it up and put it in a public place, then more people can help.

btw, i heard some time ago that the FreeBSD people were considering a
Glibc migration.

"Omnis enim res, quad dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."

"For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it is
not rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared."

		Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)