Re: dpkg patch

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 11:58:11AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 12:15:46PM -0500, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> > I think it might be a good idea to merge them. However, I need to upgrade
> > a bit first. I'm still using 1.9.16.
> >
> > Any thoughts about using wildcards in archtable? It'd be nice to be able
> > to say i386-unknown-freebsd*, and have configure work with that. Much
> > nicer than putting each release in there.
>
> Merging is probably not a bad idea, but largely depends on how much extra
> is necessary for OpenBSD; certainly, however, we should make sure that at
> the very least, the two can be applied cleanly together.
>
> I *strongly* favor wildcard matching in the archtable, to address the issue
> of not wanting to file bugs against dpkg every time NetBSD upgrades it's
> kernel by a minor revision.

Yes, I think we all have that problem. I'll write up a patch for configure to
support wildcards. I think that's the only place that will actually need them.
I've configured gcc to use i386-unknown-freebsd4, so dpkg finds that when it
looks for the arch at runtime. (By looking at the path to gcc-lib. Yuck!)

I think I can probably live with putting major version number in. They aren't
as frequent.