Re: update on Debian/FreeBSD

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:49:07PM -0400, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> The list has been quiet the last couple days, so I thought I'd post some
> updates from my adventures with FreeBSD:
<snip>
> *  Figured out how to "fix" dpkg-shlibdeps. It wanted to use ldd on shared
>    libs, but I hacked it to get a list of libs from ldconfig -r instead. It
>    seems to work now.

Everyone should start using (at least[1]) unstable for what they are doing.
As an example, dpkg in unstable hasn't been using ldd since november last
year, as ldd for shlibdeps was giving all kinds of problems. It uses objdump
instead now.

Potato is a static release, no development is being done on it anymore, only
security fixes. If people keep using potato to work with, they may easily
bump into problems that they may not have had with sid.

Regards,

Filip

[1] For dpkg and apt it may be wise even to use cvs, for the time that
Debian/BSD doesn't get officially into the archives. Even the unstable
versions of those two tools tend to "get old" fast when compared to the
sources available from cvs.debian.org

--
"When we said that you needed to cut the wires for ultimate security,
 we didn't mean that you should go wireless instead."