Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

+++ Mehdi Dogguy [2012-05-16 16:24 +0200]:
> On 16/05/12 13:41, Wookey wrote:
> >is there any reason not to just upload this to Debian?
>
> There are ITPs filed for it:
> - http://bugs.debian.org/582884
> - http://bugs.debian.org/576359

Yes. I discovered that when I went to file an ITP :-)

It turns out that there is a problem preventing upload. The rather
generic name 'usb-creator' was objected-to and a request made to
change it to 'startup-disk-creator' (The name the app shows).

Upload seems to be stalled on changing the name of the launchpad
project to give matching source and binary names. This seems
well-meaning but has the unfortunate effect that nothign has happened
for a year, despite several people expressing an interst in uploading.

I also tested it with a debian installer image and found that it is
bust due to a load of ugly code dealing with the syslinux transition
from 2.3x to 2.4x around Ubuntu 10.04->10.10 (generating old images
whilst running on a new machine, and vice versa, different package and
different syntax). It blows up on debian due to 'GNU/Linux' not being
a valid version. As we don't even have syslinux-legacy in Debian all
this mess should probably just be thrown away.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1000527

My python-foo wasn't up to actually fixing it myself. Nor do I know
how important it is to keep this sort of old-release compatibility
(how old?).

Anyone with the enthusiasm to fix the upstream-renaming thing, or this
code (not hard, just fiddly) could get this into Debian promptly I
think.

Wookey