Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On 05/16/2012 06:10 AM, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> writes:
>> No, you don't.  On a default Debian system you need to be a member of
>> the "floppy" group. From  /lib/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules :
>
> Yeah but you are not a member of that group by default surely?

$ debconf-show user-setup

  passwd/user-default-groups: audio cdrom dip floppy video plugdev
netdev powerdev scanner bluetooth

At least the initial user created by user-setup at install time will be
in this group. That would cover everyone with self-administrated
systems, which I would hazard a guess would be most of our audience. So
while we can't assume every user has access, we could at least recommend
in the doc that the command be executed as an ordinary user "where
possible" to avoid accidental harm.

Ben