Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Remembering the fun that we had during the Squeeze release with trying
> to make single-CD installations work well, it's time to consider what
> we're going to *claim* to support in Wheezy. We've had a history of
> supporting the following single-CD installations:
>
>  * Gnome desktop from CD#1
>  * KDE desktop from "KDE CD#1"
>  * XFCE desktop from "light CD#1"
>  * LXDE desktop from "light CD#1"
>  * base system only from netinst CD
>
> At this point, I'm skeptical that either of the first two are going to
> work acceptably with Wheezy. If that's the case, then we should warn
> people that they will need to use at least one of:
>
>  * more CDs
>  * a DVD
>  * a network mirror
>
> to get a useful/useable installation.

What about supporting only the smaller/lighter desktop environments
(maybe even making one of the the default environment)?  Then there
wouldn't be the need for multiple CD #1's.  Anyone that wants
gnome/kde after installation will need to grab those from the mirrors
(or use DVD or greater media).

Best wishes,
Mike