Bootloader udeb selection for specific platform

Hi,

I'm looking into building a custom Debian install CD for a non-supported
PowerPC platform. The platform doesn't work with any of the available
bootloaders in Debian. Therefore I would like to create my own bootloader
udeb package. While I can use one of the available bootloader udebs as
a base for my work, I didn't find out yet how the installer selects the
right bootloader for a platform (it seems to load several bootloader
udebs during an installation). Is this done by preseeding (though I
could only find preseeding options for grub and lilo) or by some check
of the architecture/platform string in /etc/cpuinfo?

regards,
Gerhard

PS: Please keep me on CC:, as I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.