Bug#667681: flash-kernel: Please add support for Dreamplug / Marvell Kirkwood FDT
Thanks for all your excellent explanations!
* Ian Campbell <firstname.lastname@example.org> [2012-04-05 23:06]:
> I guess upstream is forcing all new board ports to use DT, which will
> certainly be a pain for boards with a non DT bootloader.
Yes, that's exactly the kind of devices I have in mind.
> > Also, does it really say "Machine: Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)"?
> Yes, it really does say that. I thought it was weird too but grepping
> around in arch/arm it seems to be a fairly common structure (although
> things aren't all that consistent)
Ok... but so how do you know which board you're running on?
What I'm wondering is about the following scenario:
We support multiple devices. Let's say we support the following two:
- Dreamplug: which has u-boot support for DT.
- Some random NAS device which has a u-boot that is not DT capable,
so you have to add the DT blob to the kernel.
Obbiously, flash-kernel has to do two different things:
- For the Dreamplug we just need to convert the kernel/ramdisk to a
uImage/uInitrd for u-boot.
- For the random NAS, we also have to copy the DT blob to the kernel
I'm not sure how his can be done if the Machine: string for both
devices says "Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)".