Re: Correction on Sarge Installer

Hi,
Debian Sarge was the last to officially support all sparc32 systems (wich include sun4, sun4c, sun4d and sun4m). Etch support only sun4m and lenny only support sparc64. I have an old SparcStation5 ans a Sparc Classic wich are both sun4m. I already tried NetBsd but it's way too slow. Furthermore compile a single package may takes up to 7 hours! I can dowload pre-compiled package from "sun" website but it's not a package manager and I fear it won't last with Oracle... In the other hand, Debian Sarge (or even Etch) would be perfect if I didn't have apt-get distupgrade from Woody (It's the only one I can install beacause I can manually edit the source.list during installation) and recompile a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.

If you have any suggestion exept tweaking old debian installer I'm open to any idea.

Thanks

Julien

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Julien,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:24:11PM -0500, Julien Savard wrote:

> I'm looking for something really particular. I'm trying to correct the
> debian sarge installation script and maybe adapt it to archive.debian.org as
> it's main mirror. It seems when the installation script was created the
> developper didn't have in mind that the "mirror tree" would change. You can
> enter information of your mirror manually however right after wiping the
> disk ( when debotstrap try to get the release.gpg ) it try to get the
> file there :

> http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/oldstable

> when it should look there

>  http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/woody

> I think it's a simple variable or maybe it was staticly coded in the
> installer.

> I already downloaded the installer via this command :

> *svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/branches/d-i/sarge*

> And I search for the word "oldstable" in the installer :

> * find /root/debian-installer-sarge -exec grep -q "oldstable" '{}' \; -print
> >> /root/WhereIsOldStable*
> **
> But I didn't find anything interesting.

>  Does somebody have an idea?

I think this is probably in the choose-mirror udeb, not in the
debian-installer package.

Why are you trying to install woody, OOI?  This is probably not the only
problem you'll run into, and I think we've all forgotten most of the details
of how the sarge version of d-i worked by this point. :)

Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com                                     vorlon@debian.org