Re: discover-data_2.2010.10.14_i386.changes is NEW

Hi Petter and others,

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 12:14:03PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
On Sonntag, 17. Oktober 2010, Holger Levsen wrote:
> would you mind reuploading the package, at least with reverting the > debhelper compatibility change? probably also the python depends > change...

?

Why would you want to change this? I have no problem with that, but it is completely useless to change it back. The debhelper change lift the built compat level from a obsolete version to a "supported" version without changing the binary package at all (I ran debdiff to verify this), and adding the python suggests keep lintian happy without changing the package behavoiur. Both changes were done to get rid of lintian warnings, and dropping them will reintroduce the lintian warnings without changing the binary package in any way that affect installations (the only binary package difference is 'Suggests: python' in the control file).

Related to this, although not directly (discover-data does not use CDBS):

Beware that testing binary results on sid may not reveal all possible problems. In particular, bumping debhelper compat level from 6 to 7 for packages using CDBS may show no difference when building on sid and still fail in certain situations if rebuilding on Lenny, due to CDBS only fully supporting debhelper compat level 7 since 0.4.85.

Release managers are known to treat FTBFS-on-stable bugreports as non-RC, and you may similarly not care about backporting, but Debian Policy is suite-agnostic in its requiring correct package dependencies.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas