Re: anna resolver and non-installable packages

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 06:44:10PM +0200, Jeremie Koenig wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:20:50AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > While testing the netboot version of debian-installer on GNU/kFreeBSD, I
> > am facing an issue with non-installable packages that are installed
> > anyway.
>
> I'm hitting the same issue on Hurd.

Given that it is C code built on each architecture, we maybe can only
enable it on Hurd and GNU/kFreeBSD until squeeze is released.

> > The issue appears mainly with partman-*, though other
> > non-installable packages are installed anyway. For example partman-lvm
> > and partman-md complain that there is no lvm or raid support. The issue
> > might at some point arise on GNU/Linux, as for example partman-ufs is
> > not installable but installed.
>
> For what it's worth, the following udebs are currently uninstallable in
> testing (scripts attached):
>
> amd64: cfdisk-udeb, partman-ufs, partman-crypto-loop,
> speakup-modules-2.6.30-2-amd64-di, loop-aes-modules-2.6.30-2-amd64-di,
> cdebconf-newt-udeb, cdebconf-newt-terminal, cdebconf-newt-entropy

partman-crypto-loop is a good example. The package is theoretically not
installable (due to loop-aes-modules being outdated compared to the
kernel version), so users get the possibility to create a loop-AES
partition. When they validate the partition, a cryptic error message
appears only explaining that the operation has failed, but not
explaining why.

Users should simply not be presented the option in such case.

[snip]

> kfreebsd-amd64: zfsutils-udeb, libzfs0-udeb, xserver-xorg-core-udeb,

Thanks for your script. zfsutils-udeb should be installable, but it is
not due to a missing udeb far in the dependency tree. Even if the
dependency is ignored, it won't work...

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73