Re: Multi-arch netinst getting too big

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 14:28 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> What I've done for now is drop the -486 kernel flavour from the m-a
> netinst. From a test build I've just done, everything fits on a single
> CD again, even with firmware included. If people want to install from
> a netinst onto a pre-686 machine then they'll need to use the separate
> i386 netinst instead of the multi-arch version.
>
> How does that sound?

In light of Frans' concern perhaps consider dropping 686 instead of 486?
I think that will result in 686-bigmem being installed on systems which
would have previously got 686 (I can confirm if necessary). This isn't
necessarily a bad thing -- it enables NX support for one thing which is
generally desirable.

FWIW RHEL 6 (the beta at least) ships with only a PAE (aka 686-bigmem)
kernel, I guess things are heading that way generally.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

"I have five dollars for each of you."