Re: floppy install

Hello,

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> Is it worth mentioning this for future people hunting for floppy
> installs?
>
> James, if you try that, perhaps you could write-up any issues you bump
> into, so that we could still offer a floppy install method, even if we
> no longer try to cram the latest installer onto a floppy.

I'm on the way doing such test installation the explained way, in order
to provide a install documentation later.

I have installed a sarge base system via floppy and netinst cd,
everything fine so far.
Now I tried to upgrade to lenny (yes, I know the recommended way
would be to upgrade to etch first, and then to lenny in a second
step, but it would be nice, if it works with on step, or what do you think?)
Now I have a problem and want to ask for assistance:

the upgrade fails due to the packages passwd and debianutils
(passwd 1:4.0.3-31sarge9 and debianutils 2.8.4).
The binary "/usr/sbin/add-shell" is in the package 'passwd' in sarge,
while in lenny, the binary is in the package 'debianutils',
it was moved from one package to the other.
So, the upgrade stops with the error message (only wrote from mind)
"debianutils: trying to overwrite add-shell, which is already in
package passwd".

I could perhaps use one of the force options in dpkg, or something like
that, but I wanted to ask for the "correct debian way" for such situations,
as this all would maybe lead to a "semi-official floppy installation howto".

Thanks
Holger

--

Created with Sylpheed 2.5.0