Re: new udeb btrfs-tools-udeb

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 01:26:28PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Bastian Blank wrote:
> > Please provide references as new udebs are only allowed with approval of
> > the debian-installer team.
> I'm not aware of any such policy; there's no mention of such a requirement
> in the developers reference or debian policy manual.

I was not able to find any evidence to backup what I thought to
remember; AFAIK there was an informal agreement between ftp-team and d-i
to only allow udebs in after consultation as udebs are exclusively used
by the installer and new ones can break the installer easily if used
wrong. The policy have only limited relevance for udebs anyway.

> The btrfs-tools-udeb has still not been uploaded AFAICS. #567075 is
> still open. I'm puzzled that the git repository claims 0.19-11 was
> released, but the archive still has 0.19-8. Surely it's not been stuck
> in NEW for months?

Sure.

> btrfs apparently still has issues when disk space gets low, so I'd only
> consider it as an experimental option. It is pretty cool though to think
> about how d-i could define the right set of subvolumes and make it
> really easy to write a script that rolled back dpkg upgrades.

Oh yes. A one GiB filesystem can be shown as full after 400MiB used with
no way to create or remove files (before a umount/mount-cycle). I
thought about trying to adopt changes from newer kernels to the module.

Bastian

--
I'm frequently appalled by the low regard you Earthmen have for life.
		-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3