Re: r62959 - in trunk/packages/partman/partman-base: . debian init.d

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
On Tuesday 20 April 2010, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Colin Watson (cjwatson@alioth.debian.org):
> > Allow preseeding partman/alignment to "cylinder", "minimal", or
> > "optimal"; "cylinder" restores old alignment behaviour for the benefit
> > of those with crotchety BIOSes, while "optimal" is the default.
>
> Doesn't this need an addition in the installation manual appendix?

I would even say it should be an option that's available during regular
installs, either at medium or low prio. And it should also be documented
in the "Using D-I" chapter of the manual.

You rarely ought to need to touch it and in this case it being available by preseeding or low priority looks to be the sanest way to go.

In modern machine the default ought to be the most logical option and ought to work fine (and even provide some performance benefit in some cases) so this shouldn't be so easy to mess with it IMO.

Cheers,

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br