Re: Switching g-i from DirectFB to X11 -- specific issues/comments

On Thursday 11 March 2010, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> To try and make sure I wasn't missing any occurrences, I've patched
> lintian and sent the preliminary patch as a bugreport against lintian:
> #573399. Feel free to voice in, improve the patch, etc. :)

The background to this is that until Lenny 'Package-Type' did not exist as
a field. During Lenny it was added by the dpkg devs without really
checking with the D-I team; we never asked for it. IIRC they initially
even made the XC- field obsolete (it resulted in warnings during builds),
but that was reverted after some pressure by us.

We could switch to 'Package-Type' if dpkg would omit it from the control
file included in the package, but (again IIRC) the dpkg-devs were not in
favor of that. The difference of opinion was never really resolved.

It may also be that, for example for tdebs, the field _will_ be wanted in
the control file in cases other than udebs.

So I'm not really sure if a Lintian check really is the right "solution" to
the issue. But it does reflect current practice, so I personally don't
mind either. You could consider tightening the check to match only for
udebs.