Re: Problems with Debian PowerPC

Hi there (reading from -powerpc).

On Dec 16 2009, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Debian on PowerPC seems to be in trouble...

I just purchased me a "new" (used, in fact) iBook G4 and this is the
first altivec-enabled box that I have. It is also a bit faster than my
other powerpc machines.

(BTW, if you can donate a powerpc machine, I am interested in
that---please, reply privately if you can).

> 1) The daily d-i CDImage for PowerPC hasn't been updated since Dec 12th.
> 	http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/powerpc/iso-cd/

I will see with Otávio what can be done from the d-i side of it (I'm not
really up to d-i things, since I've been working with the main
distribution instead of with installers). But I can try to look at it.

> 2) Even if it were updated, it still would not be possible to install
> Debian Sid on PowerPC due to the lack of a linux-image package more
> up-to-date than 2.6.30.  This problem has existed for several weeks.

Did not know that, as I am usually running my own kernels. Is there any
breakage in any drivers with a current git tree? I just compiled
yesterday a kernel from Linus' tree for an OldWorld mac and it was
successful (actually, that was a cross-compilation).

> 3) When I install a "graphical desktop environment" with Squeeze
> using the above d-i images, I get a system that is missing almost
> all of gnome due to un-resolvable dependency conflicts.
>
> Can anything be done about to fix this?  What can I (as a user, non-
> developer, but willing tester) do to help?

Well, there is probably things that can be done. The problem would be to
get a more precise diagnostic. And, yes, a tester is always, always
wanted.

For instance, which part of gnome is not installable? Have you tried
seeing the subpackages which gnome uses (if you're going for the
full-blown metapackage---I always stay away from that for philosophical
reasons, as I want a "different" gnome from what one gets by default).

Regards, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: Otávio, please, get in touch.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8