Re: Problems with Debian PowerPC

On Dec 16, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Frans Pop wrote:

2) Even if it were updated, it still would not be possible to install
Debian Sid on PowerPC due to the lack of a linux-image package more up-
to-date than 2.6.30.  This problem has existed for several weeks.

Why does that hinder installation? All architectures use 2.6.30 in the
installer. And the linux-image packages are not the responsibility of the
D-I team.

The installation fails at the stage where you are presented with a bunch of linux-image packages and asked which one to install.

All of the options presented depend on linux-image-2.6.31-1, which does not exist in any repo I've looked at.

None of the options presented will install linux-image-2.6.30-2, which does exist -- but only in the Squeeze repo. This makes sense, of course -- we're trying to install Sid, not Squeeze.

I believe there is a FTBFS problem with the 2.6.31 kernel version on PowerPC, which has existed for several weeks.

Is there anybody working on that? If it's not fixed, it may prevent installation of Squeeze in the future as things migrate downwards in due course.

You're right, of course, that none of this is the fault of the d-i team. But since it prevents Sid installs from working, I just thought you'd like to know.

Happy Holidays...

Rick