Re: Suggestion: Change the link names on http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:17:07PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Do you really think that having "AMD64", "Intel x86" and "Intel IA-64"
> instead of amd64, i386, ia64 will make people magically choose AMD64 if
> they're looking for 64-bit Intel support?

I hadn't realised that Simon had made this change.  That was the whole
_point_.  Put the popular architectures first, and call them something
meaningful, ie:

[x86 32-bit] [x86 64-bit] [PowerPC]

The exact names are debatable of course, but expecting people to deduce
that 'amd64' is the right link to click on for their shiny new Intel
Xeon system clearly isn't working.

> The current pages would IMO be more improved by adding a clear link to a
> *separate* page with info on "how to choose the correct architecture",
> which contains a clear description of what each architecture is.

I'm not sure that's a great idea either.  Why should users have
to learn what Debian's internal name for their architecture is?

> If you want to really improve the links to images, which you're very
> welcome to do, then please do it by *redesigning* the pages with the links
> instead of forcing changes into an existing layout where the changes do
> more harm than that they improve things.

I have no objection to changing the layout.  I want to make this page
more new-user friendly (since it's rather key to getting new users into
Debian).

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."