Re: [RFC] lenny-support udeb

On Saturday 21 November 2009, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Do you know if there's a good reason
> against moving apt-setup's generators/60local to
> /usr/lib/post-base-installer.d (well, maybe copying rather than moving
> since apt-setup regenerates sources.list)?

Correct, it would have to be copied-and-modified-as-needed as apt-setup
starts from scratch.

I don't think we should promote the use of unofficial repositories during
base system installation, but if you want to create a custom Lenny image
for arm with a newer kernel that uses an unofficial repo to get a kernel,
then there's no reason not to do that.
Essentially you can do whatever you like. It may be good to formalize the
added hacks in something like a lenny-arm-support udeb so that users can
verify what happens, but that's up to you.

I've seen no initiatives to produce official lenny-and-a-half kernels or
installation images, so if you want to do something you'll probably have
to do it yourself.