Re: Not sure about recent change in tzsetup

(No need to CC me on list mail.)

On Monday 16 November 2009, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> It would be useful to make a list of "things" which must be set up by
> the installer, and *then* conceive a set of questions and priorities,
> from which these "things" could be derived.

Most people working on the installer already know that list and the various
interrelationships.

> (These relations could then be mentioned -- at least to some extent -- in
> the templates, too.)

That is one of the changes I recently committed in localechooser. In
country selection dialogs it now says:
   The country selected here will be used for example to select a default
   location and time zone" Normally this should be the country where you
   live.

> Is the installation language (together with its country variant) the
> default locale (with which encoding?) of the installed system?

No, it's more complex than that.

> Do we support no (C) locale?

Yes, we do.

> As we can't rely on the administrator to dpkg-reconfigure locales after
> installation to get other locales supported, supplementary locales have
> to be asked, but with a lowish priority (like it's done now, I think).
> The encoding part of the locale could similarly almost always stay the
> default UTF-8.

That is both the case.

> I like the above time zone question, but I'd prefer just going with the
> single choice if applicable (at least on high priority).

My current proposal is keep the time zone question simple as users should
already have selected the country where they live and thus automatically
get the correct time zone.

Why don't you give the test image I posted [1] a try and tell us what you
think. It should now perfectly support your use case (although the text
quoted above may need some final adjustment).

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://people.debian.org/~fjp/tmp/d-i/choose-mirror/