Re: Not sure about recent change in tzsetup

On Thursday 12 November 2009, Colin Watson wrote:
> This distinction is not relevant. If I am a speaker of British English
> living in Germany, the only way I can get the behaviour I want is to
> select language English, country United Kingdom, timezone Europe/Berlin.

Not anymore. With the version of localechooser in SVN and at medium
priority you can select:
- English
- Germany
- Additional locale en_GB.UTF-8
- Default locale  en_GB.UTF-8
And you will automatically get the correct timezone.

> The same applies to many other perfectly reasonable combinations. You
> might say that we do not currently support that (or at any rate not
> well); I say that we absolutely should.

Agreed. But we *do* now support it, without needing your change.

> As you well know, the country selected in localechooser is used to
> determine the country part of the locale; for example, if you want en_GB
> (which differs from en_US in a host of little ways important to British
> English speakers), selecting Germany at the country question is just not
> going to cut it. We both know that not all combinations of language and
> country form a valid locale, so in reality the only way to get sensible
> behaviour is to select the country that matches your desired set of
> localisation conventions, not the country where you currently happen to
> live. By contrast, the timezone you should select is very definitely the
> latter.

That has never been the intention though. The intention was that you should
select the country where you live. And in most cases that did work. With
the localechooser in SVN it actually does work.
The only remaining issue is to extend preseeding so that you can set
language, country and locale separately. I intend to work on that next
(and within the coming week).

> > The downside of the merged change is that it means the tzsetup
> > selection is now displayed at high priority for *all* users, while in
> > the past it would only be displayed for countries that have multiple
> > timezones.
>
> No it doesn't. If there's only one choice for the timezone, then you get
> a medium-priority question asking you to confirm your current time, as

OK, I missed that.