Re: The "clean out spam from archives" effort is lagging

Quoting Lee Winter (lee.j.i.winter@gmail.com):

> > I haven't checked the wiki and  I'm not online right now, but please
> > take care to register this in the page.
>
> I am a little hesitant to edit the page because I don't understand the
> process and found no doc or howto.

Well, that's a wiki, soso basically enter edit mode et make the
required changes.

> > macro index \eL "breport-listspam@lists.debian.org\no\nq" "report as spam to Debian lists"
> >
> > I found this much more efficient.
>
> Sounds like the beginning/foundation of an automation script.  If the
> candidates can be found mechanically, then there is a potential
> tradeoff available.  We have 11 years = 132 months; times 5 reviewers
> = 660 reviewer-months.  At 10-15 min each that is 110-165 man-hours.
> That's a lot of manual effort.

We have done a big part of the effort already.

The main point is that automated recognition is not reliable enough
and manual review is still needed...

> Just how important are the last few messages that would make it
> through a (purposfully loose) mechanical filter?  If the whole mess
> could be 98% cleaned up with say, 5 man-hours then it would be a
> tremendous efficiency improvement.

If someonen is considering investing some time on this,
maybe. However, I'm not sure we'll find such volunteer.

Please also note that processing the current traffic that flows
through the list is even easier: if a few people just commi
tthemselves to bounce to the reporting address every spam they find in
debian-boot while they read the list...then processing the incoming
traffic is just done on the fly.

For instance, when I registered that I "processed" October 2009, I
actually just record that during the entire month I bounce every
incoming spam mail in the list to the spam reporting address.