how to adjust mkfs parameters?

Hi,

installing squeeze from network.iso on a hp tc4400 laptop on a 16GB SD-card. Setup is two logical volumes on LUKS

I need to do a mkfs.ext3 -c to do a bad block check before formatting. how can this be done?

Reason (skip this if in hurry):
I'm a bit in Trouble installing to a 16 GB SD-Card (for power saving). The Card behaves somewhat strange: after copying some bigger amount of Data to it when _not_ having vfat on it, it resets. When Formatting with a badblock scan, some blocks get disabled and resets disappear. I presume wear leveling somehow gets disabled when not using fatfs -.-

thanks in advance, arian