Re: Make d-i capable to cross compile armel|* firmware images

On Saturday 09 May 2009, Hector Oron wrote:
> QUESTIONS
> Do you think this is a useful feature or a waist of time?
> Do you see any blocker to be able to do so?

The D-I build process copies/uses quite a few files from the host system
into images while building an image. For example it uses library PIC
files on the host system for library reduction (mklibs).

Implementing cross-build support is a *HUGE* task which would require
fundamental changes in the build system. As these changes will probably
also be complications and thus increase maintenance cost for the build
system, I very much doubt this is worth the effort.

IMO, as long as the reason is only "it would be nice if", it's a major
waste of time.

Cheers,
FJP