Re: Complete draft of the March 16th and 30th meetings minutes

On Monday 06 April 2009, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Montag, 6. April 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > [1] No, I'm not just talking here. There really is at least one
> > aspect of doing uploads that is totally non-obvious, but something
> > that you really *must* be aware of. And no, I'm not going to explain
> > what it is in this thread.
>
> that's hillarious.

No, actually it's quite tragic.

> either educate people

Sorry, no can do.

Properly setting down everything involved in RM for the installation guide
would require hours of work. I see no reason to make that effort unless
someone is actually interested in and willing to commit to helping out
with the work on the installation guide.

The normal first step in such a process is for such a person to become
actually involved in the package, which would also mean he/she'd gain
most of the needed knowledge as a side effect of working on the package.
So far I have seen absolutely zero involvement (other than already
mentioned earlier in the thread) from anybody on the team.

> or allow them to make mistakes themselves, so they can learn.

Why exactly should they need to make mistakes? The installation-guide
package is being properly maintained. Sure, there's a lot that can be
improved, but that is _content_, and that's not what's being discussed
here.

Releasing D-I in no way depends on uploads of the installation-guide.
Sure, it's nice if the timing is coordinated, especially when you get to
the stage of RC releases, but other than that there is zero dependency.