Re: On installation media and firmware [Re: New section for firmware]

On Wednesday 24 December 2008, Don Armstrong wrote:
> It would be nice if you (or someone else) would then explain[1] why
> having a limited set of d-i images + cd images which contained the
> non-free firmware necessary for certain hardware to boot would be an
> intractable solution. From where I sit, the major issues with it would
> be:

The major issue is that it does not solve all use-cases where firmware is
needed. It does not solve the problem for netboot installations, nor for
hd-media installations.

Also, D-I currently does not support switching CDs during early parts of
the installation. Implementing that would be a fairly major pain.

We don't want to have users jump through hoops. Having to burn an
additional image just for firmware and having to switch to that image and
then switch back to the installation image is IMO a major hoop.

It also does not really add anything to the option we already have to load
firmware from removable media.

Cheers,
FJP