Re: [Solution] Multi-desktop CDs for lenny: root device does not exist

On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Holger Wansing wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:22:33 +0100 Holger Wansing wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:39:47 +0100 Frans Pop wrote:
> > > I'd now suggest to file a BR with severity important, explain the
> > > situation and ask for help from the initramfs-tools maintainer.
> >
> > Just for the records: filed as #507805.
>
> Maximilian Attems asked me to boot with "all_generic_ide"
> instead of "all_generic_ide=1", and that's the solution!

It is very much debatable whether i-t's behavior is correct here. Its
manpage is not explicit about whether or not a value is allowed and not
allowing a value is at the least rather inconsistent with the way boolean
kernel parameters are handled. It is especially inconsistent given that
in this case the i-t parameter has the same name as the kernel parameter
for the ata-generic module.

However, I have uploaded a modified version of hw-detect.sh that does not
set the value, but just sets the plain option.

If possible please retest with a daily built image in a few days.

Cheers,
FJP