Re: Multi-desktop CDs for lenny: root device does not exist

On Monday 01 December 2008, Holger Wansing wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 02:16:06 +0100 Frans Pop wrote:
> > Can you check what the output of 'cat /proc/cmdline' is at the point
> > where the boot into the installed system fails?
> > Does that contain 'all_generic_ide=1'?
>
> Yes, cat /proc/cmdline says:
>
> root=/dev/hda1 ro all_generic_ide=1 quiet

OK. In that case it sounds like there may be a regression in a recent
version of initramfs-tools as that should take care of loading the right
modules if all_generic_ide is set. However, I don't see anything
suspicious in its changelog. Please report an RC bug against that package
so it can be further analyzed.

It would be good if, before you file the bug report, you can retest with
RC1 (using a netinst or full CD) to verify that really works correctly
and to test that you can also reproduce the error with a daily built
netinst image. Check which version of initramfs-tools is used in both
cases.

Be aware that we now have the "automatic base system upgrade" feature in
pkgsel which may install the latest version of initramfs-tools and thus
rebuild the initrd using the latest version even if you test with RC1.
To avoid that, you can do the install in expert mode and just skip pkgsel
(the "install additional software" step).

Cheers,
FJP