Quoting Jérémy Bobbio (email@example.com): > Maybe we can schedule an IRC meeting in the next few days in order to > do that? > > I can probably make a list of the changes that needs to be acted upon > tomorrow evening if that's desirable. It's quite likely that I'll be unavailable by the time that meeting happens, unless it happens *during* Debconf. wrt my fiels of "expertise", namely i18n/l10n, I can say that we would need a translation update round before an RC1 release. Since beta2, we had a few changes to D-I strings. About 15-20 translation teams easily coped with these as long as they were arriving. Not more. Given that we support 40-50 languages (this depends on where we'll draw the linnes), we definitely need a quite long (I would say two weeks) translation update round....unless we accept that several languages are in the "nearly complete" category. That leads me to a topic we need to discuss. Since Etch, improvements were made to the installer i18n process, namely sublevels and a further mechanisms to warn users when a not fully completely translated language is chosen. That should allow us to be less strict than we were for Etch and *not* require a full 100%. Therefore, I propose that we draw the line at "be 100% for sublevels 1 and 2". Languages which satisfy this criterion, after the l10n update round, will automatically be activated/kept. Those that *miss* it will be considered individually. I might suggest exceptions for some of them in case they are very close to the mark. The point here is not demotivating people and acknowledge their work. I know that Frans might disagree here (this is something where we never completely agreed as I'm somewhat more tolerant to minor completion issues) and I don't want to hide this. So, there will need to be a discussion/decision after the l10n update round about what languages we keep/add and what we don't keep. In my opinion, we can't release RC1 until at least September and we should inform the Release Team about this. PS: as some of you know, I'll be mostly unavailable until Aug 7th (you will even get this mail quite late as I need to find a connection point to send it). I hope that my contribution will still be valuable for other team members.
Description: Digital signature