Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 07:50:41PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> > > For this one we need to be careful that others don't start using it
> > > for other purposes which may get it included in "normal" initrds.
> > > It's not huge, but still.
> >
> > This could be prevented by statically linking libncurses5 to libvte9 in
> > the udeb.  Would that be a desirable option?
>
> I think it's probably a bit too big and "common" for that. Do you have any
> idea how much of the lib actually gets used? If it is really minimal that
> could be a reason to do it anyway.

It is really minimal: only termcap features are used.  I have managed to
statically link ncurses to libvte, and the size increase is only 50k
(where full libncurses5 library is 158k already).

> On Thursday 10 July 2008, Jérémy wrote:
> > > Questions:
> > > - What is size increase of initrd with this included?
> [...]
>
> Thanks for the numbers.
> Those are pretty hefty runtime demands (total of 2.5 MB for first shell).
> However, I guess it's still not completely absurd for what G-I already
> uses and can expect to have available.
>
> Updated numbers some time with Davide's improvements would be nice.

Updated numbers with the newer libvte and Davide's ttf-dejavu-mono-udeb
(but with mklibs-copy… mklibs suddently failed with an error on
cdebconf_gtk_go@Base and after more than an hour of various fights, I
just gave up):

 * Initrd size:
     without: 13072 kB
        with: 13461 kB
    increase:   389 kB

 * cdebconf-gtk-terminal on initrd, memory right after boot:
     without: 48464 kB
        with: 49328 kB
    increase:   864 kB

Both are clearly improved.

 * cdebconf-gtk-terminal on initrd, memory usage:
                   right before shell: 49644 kB
         (on di-utils-shell/do-shell)
                         during shell: 50868 kB
     (on di-utils-shell/shell-plugin)
                             increase:  1224 kB

That is higher than during the previous test.  Surely due to
mklibs-copy.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism