Re: Tibetan Machine Uni font sources for the new version (v1.901)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:32:03PM +0200, Davide Viti wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:40:09PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> > > The font file which is the sole content of the udeb package has grown a
> > > bit over threefold from 1355768 bytes to 4511176 bytes.
> >
> > Hmmm. That's not nice for the memory usage of the graphical installer.
> > It would be good to look into that before the new version is uploaded.
>
> I've created PDF charts [1] for old and new version just to have a quick way
> for comparing the two: new version does contain more glyphs indeed.
>
> The obvious suggestion would be to introduce a mechanism fo stripping unneeded glyps
> out of the udeb as we already do for ttf-dejavu [2] and ttf-freefont [3] packages.
>
> [1] http://alioth.debian.org/~zinosat-guest/ttf-tmuni/
> [2] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-fonts/packages/ttf-dejavu
> [3] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-fonts/packages/ttf-freefont

If you look at the above mentioned PDF charts, you'll notice that TONS of new
glyphs have been added to the "Private Use Area" (old version had only one "page" containing
glyphs, new version has 8 pages) and "Supplementary Private Use Area-A" which was not
covered at all in previous version, and now covers 10 pages.

I'm pretty sure we can reduce this font as to be smaller than it was in previous version, but
we must be careful not to remove needed ranges: I can help with this, but need some hints from
people using the font and knowing what is really needed.

Davide